What is a simple machine?
- A machine is a tool used to make work easier. Simple machines are simple tools used to make work easier. Compound machines have two or more simple machines working together to make work easier.
- Try to identify the Simple Machines in the house on this website. If your good enough try to identify the compound machines in the tool shed.
- More compound machines
- Even more Simple Machine fun from Edheads
- Six Simple Machines make work easier for us by allowing us to push or pull over larger distances.
- Franklin Institute explains types of simple machines.
- Can you lift a piano?
- Can you use a pulley to lift something that weights more than you do?
- Tinker Ball
- Coaster Crafter
- Simple Machines on Science Trek video
- Can you help serve lunch?
- Top 10 Questions about Simple Machines
- Videos: The Screw and the Wheel The Inclined Plane The Lever Mechanical Advantage and Friction The Pulley What is Work? Kinetic energy How Pulleys Work How Gears Work Simple Machines
What is force? A force is a push or pull. It can change the motion of objects.
Find out more about force and motion
What is work? In science, "work" means making something move.
How do simple machines make work easier?
What influences do the forces of gravity and friction have on doing work?
- .Gravity is the force of one object pulling on another. The obvious one is the earth's gravity.
- Friction happens within our daily lives. Friction can be useful. For example: grips on shoes and boots, sandpaper, sand on icy sidewalks and roads, tires, etc. Friction can be a hindrance too. For example: moving objects such as furniture, sliding on a rough surface, wearing out of moving and rubbing parts of machines, etc.